Loyalty Scheme

The Dog Chef Loyalty Points

Loyalty reward scheme

Things Dogs Should Never Eat

by | Dog Food | 0 comments

While feeding your dog junk food is inadvisable because of its potential health implications, there are certain things dogs should never eat. Things that are not only more than likely to make your best friend ill, but which could even prove fatal under the wrong circumstances.


Anything containing alcohol is toxic to your dog. Your dog should never have alcohol in any shape or form!

Artificial sweeteners

These can be potentially fatal to your dog. (Please see xylitol below).


Caffeine is a chemical related to theobromine. Theobromine is toxic and potentially fatal, particularly if you have a small breed dog.


Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine. If you want to reward your dog with chocolate treats, use carob, the dog-safe alternative to chocolate.


Never give your dog coffee because it too contains caffeine and theobromine. Coffee grounds in particularly can be fatal to the smaller dog.

Fresh Breath Biscuit Baking Mix

Bake your own healthy & 100% natural, wheat-free, plant-based homemade dog treats!

Cooked bones

Cooked bones are brittle and liable to splinter. This risks the possibility of an obstruction or internal injury to your dog.

Corn on the cob

Your dog can eat the corn, but not on the cob itself which can be a choking hazard.

Grapes, raisins and sultanas

These vine fruits can cause kidney failure and even death in even small amounts.

Junk food

Junk food is a no-no for obvious reasons. It can contain things like sugar, salt and onions which are toxic to your dog. They provide too many calories and too little of nutritional value!

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts are toxic to your dog in even the smallest quantity.

Onions and leeks

Onions and leeks can cause anemia. Don’t ever give your dog members of the allium family with the exception of a tiny amount of garlic on occasions.


Like coffe, tea contains caffeine. Teabags are particularly dangerous!


Xylitol, a sweetener sometimes found in the likes of peanut butter is highly toxic. It could even prove fatal to your dog!

So there you have it. A (not so) brief list of things dogs should never eat. I hope it helps!

Baking and Cooking for Dogs

Click here to join my public Facebook Group for all those interested in baking and cooking for their dog.

  • Baking healthy homemade dog treats
  • Making healthy homemade dog food
  • Homemade dog food recipes


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This

Share this post with your friends!